Axiom Policies and Procedures
Below are the basic policies of the Axiom. As a business owner, a responsible employer & Piercing Artist, I feel that these should not be a special case and that all clients should receive the care and consideration outlined below. It's a simply way of doing business, do it right and care about your client's health and well being. If you have any question or comments regarding these, have had a problem at the Axiom in the past or would simply like to make a suggestion feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Education requirements for piercers is as follows:
- No employee may preform or practise a piercings without supervision that has not completed a year or more of a formal apprenticeship outside an Axiom Inc. owned studio. Then and only then if the piercer provides a signed testament from a studio in good standing that the apprenticeship has been completed.
- No Employee or apprentice shall preform or practice a piercing without supervision until they have preformed that piercing correctly under supervision at least ten times.
- Annually piercers must complete correctly an exam covering sterilization, disinfection and cross contamination prevention methods.
Employee cleaning responsibilities:
- All floors are to be mopped or vacuumed daily.
- Bathroom fixtures are to disinfected daily.
- All surfaces are to be disinfected daily or as needed.
- All commonly touched items (light switches, door knobs, phones & etc....) are to be disinfected daily.
- All trash that is not contaminated is to be removed from the studio daily, especially food items.
- All employees must wear clean & appropriate attire.
- All employees must wash their hands with an antibacterial soap & warm running water when ever:
- Using the restroom.
- Before & after handling contaminated items (this includes handling items with gloves).
- Before entering & after leaving then piercing area.
- Before handling sterile packages and/or items.
- Before entering or leaving the sterilization area.
- Gloves are to be worn:
- During piercings & changed when ever there is a chance of the gloves causing cross contamination.
- When ever handling or cleaning contaminated items.
- When ever changing jewelry or handling sterile items.
- Gloves are to be removed and replaced with a new pair when ever touching any surface other then the piercing set up area or there is a chance of cross contamination.
- Gloves are not to be re-used in any situation.
Controlled & uncontrolled substances:
- The uses of any controlled or uncontrolled substance in or around the studio during normal business hours is prohibited.
- No employee is to be under the influence of any controlled or uncontrolled substance during working hours.
- Piercing anyone while under the influence is prohibited.
- Any employee that is found under the influence during his/her working hours will be terminated without notice & will forfeit any and all wages or monies owed and/or apprentice fees that have been paid.
Ear Piercing Device / Ear Piercing Guns
The uses of ear piercing guns, devices and/or machine is prohibited.
- Minors shall not be pierced without one of the following forms of consent:
- A legal guardian that is present and signs a consent form.
- A notarized letter of consent signed by the minor's legal guardian.
- The following items are to be, before using, packaged, autoclaved & stored properly until needed:
- Singles uses items: needles, cork, all jewelry & cotton
- tipped applicators.
- Re-usable items: all forceps, needle receiving tubes, taper pins, tools & calipers.
- Autoclave cleaning and maintenance must be done weekly or as needed.
- At least 12 times a year an independent spore test is to be conducted.
- The following items are to be purchased as single use single wrapped & sterile: gauze, surgical scrub swabs or pads.
- Surfaces, commonly touched items are to be disinfected using a bleach based cleaner or hospital grade cleaner.
- Re-usable contaminated items are to disinfected before being packaged and autoclaved as follows:
- Soaked in a hard surface cleaner for at least 60 minutes.
- Rinse under warm running water.
- Blood, tissue & micro-organisms are to be removed by using one of the following methods:
- Placing items in an ultra sonic tank for a minimum of 20 minutes or scrubbed using a brush, hibiciens & warm water with at least 60 seconds of friction.
- Rinse under running warm water.
- Allowed to dry in an air tight container.
- The piercing set up area is to be disinfected with a hard surface cleaner before & after piercing, jewelry changes other procedures or cases
- of contamination.
- The Hard surface cleaner is to be of an active dildehyde type & to be changed at the end of active cycle.
- Contaminated items are to be disposed of using a well marked biohazard container and a licensed medical waste disposal contractor.
- All piercees are to receive a consultation before & during filling out the release form that covers the following:
- The minimum healing time for the first and second stages of healing.
- Risks or hazards involved in getting and healing the piercing.
- Basic care and cleaning instructions
- Normal reactions experienced during/after the piercing & during the healing period.
- Any and all changes that will need to be taken involving personal habits, clothing and diet. Also, any steps that will need to be taken to
- prevent problems during the healing and after.
- A discussion for the piercee's health and medical conditions that maybe effected and/or cause complications during and/or after the piercing procedure.
- What and/or any medications, controlled and/or uncontrolled substances the piercee is under the influence of and what reaction and/or problems may arise during and/or after the piercing procedure.
- If the piercee is under the age of 25 years of age, they are to ID the piercee to determine if they are above the age of 18 years of age. If
- the piercee is a minor then documentation is to be reviewed.
- All employees must conduct themselves in a professional manner.
- Any of the following actions are grounds for termination of employment, sub-contract or apprenticeship with forfeit of wages due and/or any
- apprenticeship fees collected:
- Any and all comments, actions and/or forms of statements are considered to not be in accordance with any federal and/or state statues
- regarding civil rights, discrimination of any kind based on creed, religion, sex, race and/or sexual orientation.
- Sexual, physical, and/or verbal harassment of a client, fellow employee and/or the general public.
- Misrepresenting themselves and/or their abilities in anyway.
- Committing, being involved with and/or being convicted of a criminal activity during and/or after business hours while employed or contracted in any way by the Axiom.
- Employees have the right to refuse service to anyone if just cause can be shown
- All Jewelry is new and has never been worn.
- All Jewelry is to be inspected and found to be free of defects before packaging and autoclaving.
- All Jewelry must be made of the following metal and/or material:
- Solid 316L or 316LVM or better implant grade stainless
- surgical steel. ASTM-F138-86
- Solid implant grade niobium. ASTM-B392
- Solid implant grade titanium 614v. ASTM-F136 also known as
- titanium 6/4.
- Solid 14kt or better gold.
- If jewelry is being place in a healed piercing than plastic, lucite, sliver and/or organic materials maybe used.
- Used jewelry may never be resold but if the piercee/client brings in a piece of jewelry it can be used and/or inserted after it has been disinfected and sterilized in the proper manner.